Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Review: Daryl's Chocolate Elite Bars

I'll admit it. I'm a sucker for the convenience of protein bars. While I'm working, the portability and satisfaction a protein bar can give between seeing patients is too good to pass up. The trouble is, many of these bars have too many preservatives, too little fibre, and too much sugar.



A few years ago, I discovered a local manufacturer in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, that hand makes All-Natural High Protein Bars daily. No preservatives, natural sweeteners (honey, molasses), high fibre, and high in protein. Perfect - on paper. Do they taste all right?

Chocolate Elite

Taste.
Truly outstanding. Daryl's Hi-N-R-G Bars bars make 6 different bars, but my favorite are the "Chocolate Elite" Bars. I enjoy the texture of the toasted oats, with sweetness coming from just a little bit of honey and molasses. (The drizzle of chocolate on top doesn't hurt either!) The tartness of the dried fruits (cranberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries) are a great balance.

Chocolate Elite

In Protein bars, I like to see a protein:fat ratio of 5-6 grams protein to 1g fat, and these bars are certainly in that ballpark. The fibre content is outstanding, and the total sugars relative to carbs is low making them a good low glycemic choice.
My one caution to people is that at 288 calories per bar, if you are watching total calories, either cut them in half, or consider them as a treat.

I love finding great products close to home, and am proud to see a Canadian Company doing a good job.

Have you had these before?
Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment